Dalkeith is the main administrative centre of Midlothian. It is situated on the confluence of the rivers North and South Esk, and its ancient origins are shown in place names: Dol coet – meadow of the wood), and Isca – water.
More recently Dalkeith was a main market town, and it has some excellent examples of historical architecture, such as St Nicholas Buccleuch church (1406), and the Corn Exchange (1853).
Nearby Dalkeith Country Park is undergoing a £3.5 million re-development which will transform it into a key visitor attraction and a hub for families, activities and events.
Close by is Newbattle Abbey, founded in 1140, and the site where the Declaration of Arbroath was drafted in 1320.